[Live-demo] Xubuntu 10.04 available

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon May 10 05:40:48 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 12:32 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>
>> Settling on a good sample dataset will be good too,
>> something lik

I have a comment regarding location of the data in the file structure. I
haven't seen this mentioned yet. Currently, in the home dir of user
there's a softlink called "data" pointing to /usr/local/share. There you
find fonts, certificates, man pages and all manner of stuff not related
to spatial data.
Can I suggest to have a data directory in the user's home dir but with
only the spatial data (and documentation?) chosen to be included?

>> OpenStreetMap
>>
>> Might be a good place to start since they all have world
>> coverage and we could repack a new extent every year.
>>
> fyi Barcelona OpenStreetMap data is already sucked in by install_osm.sh,
> and I plan to change that to download the latest data using Xapi* so we
> always are using the freshest version of the data as possible. Changing
> that to other cities is as easy as changing the lat/lon bounding box.
>
> [*] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi
>
> Users can (via 1,2,3 tutorial) then run "osm2pgsql" to create a PostGIS
> database for other PG using tutorials. It's pretty small really so we
> could do this for them, but then they wouldn't learn how to do it :)
>

> Hamish

Micha Silver
http://www.surfaces.co.il/
Arava Development Co.  +972-52-3665918