[Live-demo] Re: Prune in the OSGeoLive DVD?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 06:50:49 EDT 2010

On 09/10/10 02:30, activityworkshop wrote:
> Hi all,
Hello. Nice to meet you.

> I saw the OSGeoLive DVD at the InterGeo conference and it looks great!
Thank you - lots of people have spent a lot of time on it. It is nice to
hear positive feedback.
>   I wonder if you would perhaps be interested in including the "Prune"
> application in some future release?
Possibly. ...

> Prune has a similar aim to Viking, in that it loads, displays, edits
> and converts GPS track data and uses Openstreetmap as backgrounds.
I'd be interested to understand the differences between Viking and Prune
and understand reasons why people will choose one over the other.

I'm wary of the OSGeo-Live disk promoting every possible application, as
it will just confuse new users.
We do have similar applications packaged for other domains, but it is
useful if we can recommend the best of breed.

> It's written in Java, runs on Win/Mac/Linux, is GPL'd and already
> included in Debian (from Squeeze onwards) and Ubuntu (from Meerkat
> onwards).  So I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to
> include on the DVD,
Good credentials.
> assuming you can squash it in.
How much RAM does it use, and how much disk space (assuming java is
already installed).
(We are reaching capacity on the DVD disk)
Eventually, I'll be asking you to answer questions for Prune here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB#gid=5

> It also plays nicely with gpsbabel, gnuplot and exiftool, but doesn't
> require them.
Also good.

> For more information about it, see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Prune or the homepage
> http://activityworkshop.net/software/prune
>

> If you have any questions, please get in touch by email.
> Thanks!

I'm interested to understand the stability of Prune and the community
behind it.
Our priority on OSGeo-Live is to promote stable, quality (and probably
widely deployed) applications.
You might want to use this page as an idea for talking points in
answering this question:
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html

Geospatial Director