[Live-demo] Application Menu

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 04:52:24 EDT 2011

Oliver wrote:
> the LiveDVD 4.5 had a menu with shortcuts for each
> application. The MapProxy quick start (and I guess others as
> well) references that menu, but at the moment there are only
> the desktop icons present. There were plans to add it back,
> as far as I remember. What is the current status?

known problem, working on a solution..
the good news is that I just figured out how to fix it.

right click Panel -> add new item -> applications menu
right click, 'move' it into position
right click, properties
down the bottom is "Menu file:
 [*] use default menu
 [ ] use custom file

select "use custom file", /usr/local/share/xfce/xfce-osgeo.menu
icon -> gnome-globe
Name: Geospatial Apps
click [Ok]

and it's back!

I "just" have to splice that into
  /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

keep an eye out for it in the next beta build.

also, I saw an example of multi-level menus done by NoMachine
(similar to TightVNC), so we might still be able to do GeoApps->
 Web services->GeoBaz->  Start | Stop | Help docs
instead of just one big+cluttered Web services menu.

another thing I noticed which needs some study: auto-login only
works upon boot, if you log out manually you need to know the
user password to get back in.  (or reboot)
(Alex?)

Hamish