[Live-demo] Revisiting graphics

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Tue Aug 23 21:38:54 EDT 2011

Hi Peter-

  I had a detailed conversation with Tyler just now..
I heartily agree with your opening line there.. lets just say that good
graphic design has not been one of the strengths of an OSS ecosystem !!

As I said earlier today in more detail with Tyler, presentation
graphics that are a collection of clashing logos is actually very
harmful in this situation. Why ? because it sends the messeges of last
minute, collection of disparate components. A garage sale, a flea
market, poor craftsmanship, etc..  This is *exactly* what this LiveDVD
is not, and is *exactly* what an outside cynic would start off to
accuse it of !!

Nothing could be further from the truth of this project.. The core team
here has been refining this product for more than 18 months,
continually.. We had a steller build with 4.5, which got a worldwide
debut at FOSSGIS 2011 (which is, from what I can gather, the conference
of one of the historical forbears of OSGeo itself, notably along with
the MapServer Users Group)

Unfortunately, we are actually past the time for new variations on the
graphic designs..
I have worked out the following with the principals here Peter, and I
want to try to win your support for this plan.  We move ahead with the
*right* desktop design, and the DVD Label that Alex Mandel is working
on now.. the cover we punt on, and use a paper sleeve with view window
as we did for 4.5.

As CameronShorter put it, at this point, we risk all by getting sidetracked.
thanks for your support and please be assured that the LiveDVD is going
to be a great addition to a great show this year

best regards from the SF Bay Area
Brian Hamlin

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:48:23 -0600, Peter Batty