[Mapbender_dev] Regarding http digest authetication

Karim Malhas karim at malhas.de
Mon Jul 5 15:50:04 EDT 2010

Hi Vikas,

> I have a couple of queries regarding the earlier implementation of http auth
> -
> 1) what is ows proxy? I found the article on OWS Proxy in Mapbender wiki but
> that is written in German. It would be really nice if somebody could explain
> me the concept in brief.

I don' t think I have fully understood it either, so someone correct me
please. The general idea is to obscure which host a WMS is served by

So
  "http://wms5.example.net/wms?version=1.0&service=wms&request=getCapabilites"

becomes:

  "http://www.example.com/owsproxy/87502jd23roc3hf3q?version=1.0&service=wms&request=getCapabilites"

All the client sees is the second url and won't know that the wms is
accessible via the other url as well . There's some black magic in the
that hashlike string, which somehow restricts access by user, but I
don't really know the details and for all I know it's easily replaced
by a HTTP Proxy requiring authentication.

> 2) Earlier implementation assumes that there is a column in the mb-user
> table called digest which already contains the digest. Does any column
> already exist ? or there are plans to include them in the table? In my
> implementation I am calculating the hash each time authentication is
> required.

I guess that's ok, we can alwas optimize later.

Regards,
Karim