[Mapbender-users] How to create a postgres-cluster with encodings UTF-8 and LATIN1 ?

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:39:05 EDT 2008

Hi Herbert, in spanish mailing list Alvaro Herrera says:

Since PostgreSQL 8.3 there is a change, before 8.3 the server enables you to
choose a different encoding to regional configuration. This was very
problematic for the postgres team. For this reason, now you can't combine
(in only one postmaster) databases with Latin1 and UTF-8.

The alternative is you choose the C or POSIX regional configuration, which
can  work with any encoding.

You can find more information on the postgres mailing list (spanish):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2008-02/msg00431.php

I also tried the LATIN1 encoding without any results. If you can resolve it
please write it.

Thanks and best regards.

Germán Carrillo.

2008/6/23 Schönhammer, Herbert <Schoenhammer.Herbert at regensburg.de>:

> Hi list,
>
> Obviously this posting is in the wrong list. But perhaps somebody reading
> this list has a solution for me. My problems are:
>
> I want to create a postgres-cluster, in which it should be possible to
> generate databases with encodings in
>
> - UTF-8 for use as mapbender-db
> - LATIN1 for storing data in german sort-order and character-set
>
> Using postgresql version <= 8.2.x this is no problem. The postgresql does
> not evaluate the system's LC_CTYPE and so the postgres-user is able to
> create db's with all wanted encodings.
>
> But since postgres 8.3.x the initdb evaluates the system LC_CTYPE (which is
> set to de_DE.UTF-8). I'm ONLY allowed to generate databases with encoding
> UTF-8.
>
> I have tried using the --locale option of initdb, setting
> --locale=de_DE.LATIN1. The result is,  I'm only allowed to create databases
> with encoding LATIN1.
>
> Also following the Postgres-doc, i tried --locale=C or --local=POSIX,
> setting --lc-collate=de_DE.LATIN1: But I'm also only allowd to create
> databases with encoding UTF-8.
>
> Does anybody know, how to specify the initdb options to generate
> mapbender-db's in UTF-8 and "data"-db's in LATIN1 ?
>
> I urgently need some help ;-)
>
> Thanks and greetings from
> Herbert

  |\__