[mapguide-internals] RFC required for tile caching changes?

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Sat Jan 13 11:09:59 EST 2007

Can you also give an example for tiles with negative indices?
For example if in the current scheme the tile is -33, -64, what would be the resulting directory path?

R-2/C-3/-3_-4

What about tile -1,-1

Another suggestion I have -- name the folder part of the path (30 * tile index div 30) and then the file part would be (tile index mod 30).

So for tile 33,64 the folder would be:

Base Layer Group/30/60/3_4.png

And for tile -33,-64 the folder would be:

Base Layer Group/-30/-60/-3_-4.png

For tile 1,1, the folder would be:

Base Layer Group/0/0/1_1.png

For tile -1,-1 the folder would be:

Base Layer Group/-0/-0/-1_-1.png

It's a little weird around 0, but it allows for arbitrary groupings of tiles in folders (they don't have to be 30x30) since the tile index can be computed directly from the file path, by adding the folder term to the file path term.

Also, can you tell us what the problem is with having too many images in one directory? Is it a file system issue? And how many tiles is the limit, i.e. why is 30x30 the preferred grouping and not 1000x1000 for example?

Traian