[mapguide-internals] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal Software Translation Portal

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Sep 21 13:22:46 EDT 2007

Interesting post on a shared translation portal for OSGeo software.

I wonder if this is something that MapGuide could get involved with to
help with our localisation efforts.

From: Markus Neteler
To: OSGeo-discuss
Cc: GRASS translations
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal Software Translation Portal

Hi,

as you may know, some of the OSGeo software projects come with
translated messages. E.g. GRASS has been translated (partially) into
more than 10 languages.
We (GRASS) have a dedicated mailing list for this and a translation
manager who takes care of synchronization, update and message
standardization.

So far - so nice. But.

We could gain more translators with a Web based solution (think rainy
day and you just want to translate 10 messages and don't want to mess
around with .po files from CVS and so forth).

Our suggestion is to set up a Web based solution for all interested
OSGeo projects (e.g. using "pootle").
To better brainstorm on that, we have made a Wiki page:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Software_Translation_Portal

Comments welcome,

Markus Neteler
Stefano Costa