[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 55 - Switch from PROJ4 toCS-Map coordinate system library

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Aug 8 00:26:59 EDT 2008

Oh...

And I was wondering if this would be a good time to start using SVN Externals (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html) to reference a given tag of CS-Map from within the MapGuide SVN repository.  This will allow MapGuide developers to use CS-Map without having to worry about separate downloads, making sure they have the right version for the branch they are working on, etc.  Both of these projects are using OSGeo infrastructure, so there is little risk of this "third party" library going away.

Jason

________________________________

From: Jason Birch
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 55 - Switch from PROJ4 toCS-Map coordinate system library

Hi Hugues!

Wow, that was quick; maybe GDAL won't beat MapGuide in using CS-Map after all :)

I guess the original intention of having a compile-time switch so that users can choose one or the other has gone out the window?  I'm not necessarily against this--it's more overhead to maintain both--just surprised at the change.

Will this affect sites that are running MapGuide alongside other open source PROJ.4-based applications that do on-the-fly projections on the same data; is it possible that users see large differences from one application to the next?

What are the implications for existing installs?  Is there a potential that spatial contexts have been recorded to the repository (in SC overrides, native map projections, etc) or FDO data stores that are incompatible with CS-Map?  If so, how will we support users running into this problem?  Is there a potential for a utility application that scans the repository and tests whether CS-Map can recognize the WKT so that users can identify and resolve any problems before upgrading?

Jason

From: Hugues Wisniewski

Hi,

I would like to submit "MapGuide RFC 55 - Switch from PROJ4 to CS-Map coordinate system library" for review and comment.

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc55

Thanks,

Hugues