[mapguide-internals] Dynamic tile rendering proposal

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jul 31 05:20:53 EDT 2008

The current tile mechanism is using static images to serve pre-built
images as tiles.
For this reason, the tiles are only usefull with "base layers".

I have worked with OpenLayers, and it has a very nice tiling mechanism.
DM Solutions have built some tiling support into the MapGuide provider
for OpenLayers.
This uses the static tiles, and the row/column index system in MapGuide.

Using the "original" OpenLayers tiling mechanism one can get a dynamic
MapGuide image
to load as tiles, giving the illusion that the page loads faster (when
it actually loads a bit slower).

The problem with this method is that MapGuide optimizes the rendered
image for the given bounds.
This is especially true for calculating label positions and overlaps.
I would like to add a parameter for the "GETMAPIMAGE" call that accepts
an "outer bounds" parameter.

With this parameter, MapGuide should render the extent given by the
extent parameter, but use the outer
bounds for determining label placements and any other details that may
have the same problems.

With this, it would be possible for MapGuide to serve tiles from
MapGuide, without relying on a
static tilcache.

I would like to add this as an RFC, but would like feedback on the idea,
as well as possible problems.

--
Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S