[mapguide-internals] missing backward compatibilty of 2.1 server API - feature or defect?

UV uvwild at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:02:37 EDT 2009

A recent attempt to verify the map structures used for my test case
using Mapguide Studio
an access to a  data resource from within a layer triggered an exception
in the server.
(unable to process operation)(Resource ID does not refer to a valid
feature source)

This is due to a changed parameter count in the request package.

At this stage I wonder why a change in the server API is permitted to
break the compatibilty to the previous version.
I cannot imagine any good reason......

This is going to give people a lot of grief!!!!!!!

I dont understand why such important API changes are not simply added to
the server as opposed to taking the previous one away.
At least one generation of deprication of old API should be observed.
This is pretty much standard everywhere else.

Or is this a defect?
Considering the error messages given I would rather call it a defect.

Again, this is going to give people a lot of grief as the error messages
produced are completely misleading.

Basically everyone is going to see this message when they are looking at
their old map with a new server binary.