[mapguide-internals] RE: PATCH: Raster stability fixes, ticket#462

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun Mar 29 20:24:03 EDT 2009

I think the work to test out GDAL as a multithreaded provider is
cool, and am personally really interested in trying it out myself
against some of my data sets to see how stable it is.

I have a couple concerns though.  First, given that GDAL is not
guaranteed to be thread safe, I'm worried that this may just
make the problems we are seeing harder to separate from inherent
multithreading problems in the GDAL provider. Second, I worry
that if this is implemented, it will be seen as a solution,
rather than what it really is: a way of masking the underlying
problem in the MapGuide connection manager, similar to the
temporary "big lock" workaround.

Given that Haris has already spent a lot of days on the analysis
of this problem, I think it would be a good idea to determine
the best solution and implement it rather than putting something
that looks like it works (like the previous fix of using a single
pooled connection) in place.

I know that Haris has been experimenting with at least a couple
alternative permanent solutions to this problem, and will be
interested to hear some discussion around them.