[mapguide-internals] Commit rights for UV

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Thu May 7 21:21:53 EDT 2009

Just been reading the PSC notes, sorry I couldn't make the session,
waaayy to late down under..

I am rather worried about the trend that UV after posting a RFC
and then actually implementing it, plus his work on the build stuff
plus numerous other small issues he delved into and has found
solutions for, still isn't being considered for commit rights as
per the notes from the PSC...

How high is the barrier for entry? Where are the PSC members
actively supporting new developers and guiding them into moving
forward to commit status.

This seems to of happened with both Helio and UV, both have stepped
up, dived deep into the code base but are still 'locked out'

I think the PSC needs to be way more active in this regard if MapGuide is
going to succeed as an open source project.

Initially with UV, the feedback from the Autodesk team was that they
where reluctant to guide new developers until they proved their commitment.

There is a certain level of irony in the PSC notes, where on one hand it
has been said that UV is not ready for commit rights, but at the same time, he
has done the work on working out failed tiled stuff which was no minor effort
in itself and the PSC then suggesting that he should write a RFC for it..

That seems rather contradictory.

Moving forward, can I ask for someone in the PSC take a direct involvement
in regards to commit rights for UV?

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168