[mapguide-internals] Stability and performance issues with MGOS 2.1

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Fri May 8 00:03:23 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I just took a read through the meeting minutes from the PSC and there was some discussion around selection, performance, and stability with MGOS 2.1.  I have spent the last month investigating some of these issues and have some insights.  Haris and others, please contact me directly.

I will be making some code submissions to fix a few things that I have already found.  These submission affect both MapGuide and Fdo.  And there will be more to come.  No use duplicating effort here between Autodesk and the community.  However, I could use some guinea pigs to test this stuff when I start to slam all this code in.

Bruce has already submitted a patch for web tier/server connectivity on my behalf http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/changeset/3847.  Thanks Bruce!

This change along with a previous submission related to repository tuning http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/changeset/3847 have brought MapGuide on Windows to a point where it can begin to handle concurrent user loads in excess of 200+ users, depending on data set.

The next set of submissions which I need to make will deal with a variety of memory leaks in both MapGuide and Fdo.  Large selections in a multi-user environment with MGOS 2.1 will exhaust virtual memory.  I do have fixes in hand but have not tested it with all of the providers