[mapguide-internals] GSOC Project : request for mentors

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon Mar 22 17:34:25 EDT 2010

Hello Rohit,

I have been doing some build and packaging work for the MGOS 2.2 release.  I am currently working on Ubuntu DEB packaging but may not have time to work on CentOS/RedHat RPM packaging.  RPM packaging is sorely needed.

In addition, MapGuide does not compile cleanly on GCC 4.4.  This makes compilation on many Linux distros problematic.

I am checking with Wolf to see if MapGuide can participate in the OSGeo GSOC.  As a project, we did not submit any ideas to GSOC.  I am not sure on the participation rules at this point.

If we are allowed to participate, I would be willing to mentor you.  An open source project without Linux binaries is not such a good thing.

You also stated that you would like to work on new functionality for MapGuide.  The build/install work may not keep you busy for the entire GSOC term.  The MapGuide Future page http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/Future lists a number of ideas for future versions of MapGuide.

Personally, I like the "Overhauling the Security Model" as a project.  There have been a number of requests for enhancements to the MapGuide security model from the -users list.  Here are a few  ideas off the top of my head:

1. Control layer inclusion in a map based on user/group information.  Both LayerDefinition and FeatureSource resources could be used to determine layer inclusion.  Access based on LayerDefinition will be straightforward.  Access based on FeatureSource will be more complicated.

2. Show/Hide GUI elements based on user/group information.  This would apply to both the Ajax and Fusion viewers.  Schema modifications may be required for WebLayout and ApplicationDefinition.  This may be a fairly complicated.

3. Implement LDAP integration so that user authentication and group membership is pulled from LDAP.  I suspect this would be a very involved project.

If all three Security Model enhancements were implemented, it would be possible to control map content and application functionality using LDAP (and Active Directory) groups.

Regards,

Trevor Wekel
http://www.otxsystems.com