[mapguide-users] Cluster configuration support on Linux

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Tue Feb 20 11:48:21 EST 2007

Hi Ismael,

I do not have any experience setting up a clustered configuration but have done some preliminary investigation into the requirements.  Here's some information that may help:

The repository can only be accessed by a single process at any given time so active/active is not currently possible.  Active/passive might be possible with some work.  The filesystem where the repository is located must be fully posix compliant and support locking.  NFS and Samba shares are not fully compliant.  Something like Oracle OCFS2 or RedHat GFS would be more appropriate.  This would allow both machines to see the repository.  However, only a single MapGuide Server process can access the repository at any given time.  You would have to manage MapGuide Server process startup and shutdown using external monitoring scripts.

If you are installing from sources on Linux, it is possible to run MapGuide under a user account.  Grant the user account full access to /usr/local/mapguideopensource and /usr/local/fdo-3.2.0.  Then build and install using that user account and startup Apache and mgserver using the same user account.  Daemonizing the mgserver process (mgserverd.sh) may not work but you should be able to use nohup with the mgserver.sh script.

Thanks,
Trevor

  _____