[mapguide-users] Building symbols

James H. Murphy jhm at alacad.com
Fri May 25 17:14:16 EDT 2007

George,
This is what I have been doing for the past few months between support calls and demos. In Map3D I create Mtext using charmap and getting the fonts from the ESRI symbol library. Then I use the express tool text explode to turn those mtext objects into lines/plines. Then I run some of the map cleanup tools on those to get rid of the duplicate lines and so-on. Clean up what is left over and create blocks by-layer. It takes a while but that seems to work with the ESRI fonts to create symbols you can use in the FDO side of MAP 3D. Once I get "all" of them convert cataloged somehow, haven't gotten to that point yet they will be available for anyone that wants then.
Now whether they work in MGE or MGOS I don't know but for MAP3D they look good.

James Murphy
Applications Engineer
ALACAD
 (205)444-3100