[mapguide-users] Highway Shields with new cartographic styling options

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Sep 11 10:45:33 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm working with data where one road can be represented by many
segments.  I am trying to display highway shields along the roads in a
consistent manner.  The problem I've run into is that in some places
many shields are drawn and in others none are drawn.  By creating
several scale ranges and adjusting the StartOffset and Repeat values at
each scale, I've been able to create a map where the number of shields
is usually acceptable, however I still have some areas with many and
others with none.  I have DrawLast, CheckExclusionRegion and
AddToExclusionRegion set to True in the LayerDefinition.

I believe the problem I am encountering is that MapGuide treats each
segment individually, and therefore if the shield will fit in on the
line with the specified StartOffset value it will be drawn, regardless
of how close it is to a shield on nearby segments.  Can anyone confirm
this?  Is anyone know there a way to specify a distance other than
StartOffset and Repeat to create consistent spacing between the shields?

Thanks,
Christy