[mapguide-users] Smooth panning on MouseMove (as in Google Maps) an option?

inspiron2 vistav20 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 22:23:08 EDT 2008

Paul Spencer-5 wrote:

> Yes, this has been a feature from the initial release.  You need to
> create a map definition that has fixed base map scales using studio
> (at the bottom of the Map editing panel I think) then the AJAX viewer
> will use a tiled mode similar to the google approach.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

Paul, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yes, it is there, and
it worked!

I should add that even though tiled mode gives an effect similar to Google,
it is not as smooth (read: jerk free) as the non-tiled mode. Non-tiles
doesn't draw the new area as you pan around (untill you release the mouse
button), but the movement is much more smooth (i.e. non-jerky) in that mode.
And it makes sense because both the client and server are breathing easy as
you are panning around in non-tiled mode.

ciao