[mapguide-users] mapguide-google map integration

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Jul 9 12:16:35 EDT 2009

Nisha,

The response you received is entirely due to the way you asked the question.  There have been many cases where users come to this mailing list not having done any research, ask many vague questions, and expect the volunteers on this list to do their work for them.

If you want good answers to your questions, show that you have done your part and provide as specific a question as you can.  In your case it would have been more useful to phrase your question something like:

"
Hello,

I have been trying to add a Google Maps layer to my (AJAX | Fusion) web layout using (MapGuide Open Source 2.1 Beta).  I have already looked in the mailing lists and found the following:

http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/wiki/MapGuideCommercialOverlays
http://n2.nabble.com/re%3A-flexible-web-layouts-td2660073.html#a2660073
http://enterprise.mapguide.com/googleflexslate

However, when I try to add a Google Maps layer following these instructions, I still get this error:

Here is the relevant part of my Application Definition:

And you can see an example of my map here:

Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Thanks,
"

To put it plainly, if you don't take the time to write a good question on open source mailing lists, then you can expect hostility or just to be ignored.  More information on the art of asking good questions (good information, if a bit condescending):

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

In specific response to your question, even if you are running MapGuide 2.1 Beta with a Fusion layout, you will likely run into problems with the commercial layers that have since been fixed in Fusion trunk.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/changeset/1842
http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/changeset/1847
http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/changeset/1864

Unfortunately, to use these fixes you'll need to use SVN to download the latest Fusion.  More information on this on the Fusion wiki:

http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/

Jason