[mapguide-users] Advice on the use of 300 DWF layers

lucvanlinden luc.vanlinden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:09:03 PST 2015

Well, after having used the python script console in Maestro, we were able to
update the Maxscale for those 300 dwf layers in bulk as opposed to a manual
way.While searching and testing we came with some questions or at least some
hints to our open question.I thought I would be interesting to at least some
of these back to the list as an answer to our own requests ;-):*1. What
would be the quickest way  to include the Maxscale values in the XML Layer
definitions for those 300 DWF layers (without doing this manually)? *Python
Script:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Maestro-Python-api-example-script-setScaleRange-for-a-drawingLayer-tt5183707.html
to be used in teh python console of Maestro.*2. Would it help the server to
avoid "rendering all DWF files on the initial mapload (given the default
maxscale value of infinite)? *Setting the Maxscale is absolutely a must, as
always, to render the information only on an appropriatezoom level. As we
found out from the raw XML, the extents of the DWF files content of the
individual DWF Drawing datasource definitions are stored as
105017.49574      129315.39414      110011.29465      130510.21422So we
believe there must be an indexing or a smart lookup behind the scene on
these by MapGuide.*3. Would it be necessary to have the DWF files pre
transformed in the Pseudo Mercator?* With the maxscale in place the
performance is now quyt similar to the MapGuide 6.5 DWG datasource. 2 to 3
secs depending on the density of DWF files. This is ok for now. it might be
that a pre-transformed datasource might be quicker, which is something we
might test later on.*4. Are there any other settings we have to (re)set in
the ini files? *Still open*5. It seems that restarting the service MAPGUIDE
OS takes care of the DB_RunRecovery stuff or are there any specific actions
and or tricks we have to apply in order to “reset” the server? *Still open
on others input. We have noticed that restarting the service solves
(temporary if you do not change the config, in this case change the zoom
scale) the error message without having to do anything on a recovery
issue.Luc