[mapguide-users] Corrupted .idx files for shp file connections

Berg, James James.Berg at stantec.com
Fri Jan 23 06:16:55 PST 2015

MapGuide Open Source 2.5.2
Windows Server 2008 x64
Maestro 5.1

Occasionally layers created from unmanaged shp file feature sources will no longer display. I can fix this by deleting the .idx file for the affected shp file. The idx file is regenerated the next time the layer is viewed and the layer starts working again.

Throughout the MapGuide User mailing list, this issue and solution is mentioned, however, this occurs around twice a month in our application and we would prefer that the issue not occur at all.

Does anyone know exactly why this happens? It's been suggested that the permanent solution is to switch from shp files to sdf or SQL Server spatial. I don't have a problem with using different data sources if there's no way to make shp files reliable.

Let me know what you think, It'll help me out a lot.