[MapProxy-dev] MapProxy PSC, RFCs and GitHub PR

Ramūnas Dronga ramunas.dronga at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:29:12 PDT 2020

Hi all,
mapproxy is a great project and we've been using it for last 5 years mainly
for proxying state based services to OSM community. During that time we
introduced a completely new caching backend for distributed data store
Riak, did several other minor improvements and fixes. Our future plan is to
add more high load oriented caching backends, to improve performance and
python3 compatibility.

Thanks Oliver for this new initiative, the new beginning of development.

Best,
Ramunas

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 15:16, Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> sorry for the slow progress on the PSC.
>
> I'm happy that we now have a list of seven candidates for the PSC. All of
> you are long time users of MapProxy and most of you also contributed in the
> past. So far we have:
>
> Denis Rykov
> Johannes Weskamm
> Just van den Broecke
> Matt Walker
> Oliver Tonnhofer
> Ramūnas Dronga
> Tom Kralidis
>
> Maybe you can all introduce yourself with 2-3 sentences on how you are
> using MapProxy, your affiliation with a company that uses MapProxy, do you
> have any plans within your PSC membership?
>

> Next step is, that we all agree on the PSC guidelines. Please take a look
> at https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/wiki/PSC-Guidelines which is more
> a less a copy of the guidelines from MapServer, OpenLayers and PyGeoAPI.
> Make sure you all understood the responsibilities:
> https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/wiki/PSC-Guidelines#membership-responsibilities
>
> The only major change is that I increased the review period from two days
> to five business days. I think two days is quite short. (Minor changes
> aren't affected by the voting process anyways and a revert is just one
> command away.)
>
> I'm also not sure how we should handle GitHub issues & pull requests? Do
> we want to keep all discussion on this list? Do we want an RFC for each PR?
> Would be it be OK if the PR is the RFC and we only vote on the mailing
> list? Should we just add a PR template [0] and mention that they should
> write to the mailing list if they want to bring this PR forward? (Otherwise
> they would need to wait till one of us is enough interested in the PR to
> make an RFC on their own.)
>
> I'm quite open to all of these options.
>
> [0]
> https://help.github.com/en/github/building-a-strong-community/creating-a-pull-request-template-for-your-repository