[MapProxy] Mapnik and Mapproxy

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Sep 5 06:37:26 EDT 2011

El 05/09/11 11:24, Andreas Trawoeger escribió:

> 2011/9/5 Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas <jsanz at osgeo.org
> <mailto:jsanz at osgeo.org>>

>     The mapnik renderer discussion has put on my head the question about how
>     good it would be a workflow like:
>
>     Design on TileMill -> Export Mapnik XML -> Publish on Mapproxy
>
>     I haven't tried it yet.
>
>     So my question to the list is if there are any good or bad experience
>     using Mapnik source on MapProxy.
>

> I have actually tried that and actually made it work, but it is kind of
> tricky, because TileMill generates Mapnik2 configuration files which
> Mapproxy doesn't support at the moment.

So I assume adapt mapnik2 config file to previous version is not so
difficult.

> Mapnik2 development is in heavy flux and the new Tilemill 0.5 version
> broke my old setup. I will try to make it work again and post my setup.

Yes I supposed that when I saw TileMill installation notes, anyway I was
thinking about a machine for the cartographer and another to serve the
data :-)

> Another thing that does work is to generate a Mbtiles files[0] with
> Mapproxy and serve them with Tilestream[1].

Or just generate the tiles with TileMill and serve them with MapProxy in
offline use, directly from the MBTiles or generating a TMS structure on
the file system.

Best
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas