[MapProxy] wms layer name

Seth Ellingson seth.ellingson at blackbridge.com
Mon Jan 28 07:34:16 PST 2013

Hi all,
  I have recently discovered something very strange in regards to how I
name my layers in MapProxy.  I am using MapServer as my wms provider, and
therefore I am using cgi files to call the service.  Mapproxy is also
installed on the same server.

ex. http://localhost/cgi-bin/layerName.cgi

That's fine, but for the service to work in mapproxy, I must name the layer
(in the 'layers' section of mapproxy.yaml) exactly what the cgi file is
named, in this case it would have to be named 'layerName'.  Is this
absolutely necessary? Or is there something that I am doing wrong?  I have
several mosaics being served from this WMS server, and it appears to be the
same with all of them.

Here's an example config from my mapproxy.yaml

sources:
  malawi:
    type: wms
    image: