[MapProxy] database-update triggered reseeding

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Jan 28 06:09:13 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'm designing an application where highschool students will go into the
field collect data on the type of lights used in houses. (Quite a cool
project using a home made spectrometer to distinguish between
incandescent, LED and CFL). The idea is that in the last week of October
20000 students will collect this data aggregated on streetlevel and the
results will be rendered on a map.

Everytime a student enters data (s)he obviously wants to see his/her
result ASAP on the map. This means that for a week there will be lots of
updates on the map and at the same time lots of requests. So I was
thinking it would be nice to have an OSM-style setup: every update on
the database triggers a 'dirty' flag on the affected tiles and they are
rendered ASAP.

The usecase is a bit easier than OSM: we will divide the country in a
series of small polygons at which level the data will aggregated as such
only the attribute of the polygon will change, never the geometry and we
could calculate before hand which tiles are be affected by a change in
the database.

Has someone tried to build such a thing with MapProxy before? Any
thoughts on implementation?

Cheers,
Steven