[geojquery] Desireable plugin pattern

Christian Wygoda arsgeografica at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:44:39 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I was looking at the available code examples offered on the mailing list and
keeping in mind that there will be a Core plugin and UI plugins I came to
the question which plugin pattern should be embraced.

I think for the UI plugins it will be the natural to use the jQuery UI
widget factory.
For the Core plugin we would like to stay clean of jQuery UI dependencies,
right? So we need to write our own plugin. But maybe we should use the same
pattern as the jQuery UI widget factory? This could have two advantages:

First, any project using the full set of GeoJQuery Core & UI magic could
reuse the jQuery UI widget factory to build the core plugin and thus remove
some lines of "redundant" code.
Secondly, using the same pattern would make life a little bit easier for
folks hacking both in Core & UI.

To get our feet wet we could even start using the jQUery UI widget factory
now (!) for the Core plugin and later "write" (a.k.a. c&p) the dropin for
the widget factory. Or just point to the jquery.ui.widget.js in the install
instructions then - depending on how lazy we will be. ;)

Let me hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
  Crischan