[MapQuery] Directory layout + external libs in Git repo

Christian Wygoda arsgeografica at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:48:00 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Anne Blankert <anne.blankert at geodan.nl>wrote:

>  In the newly proposed and improved directory layout, the demo's now
> reference external libs like <script src="../lib/...></script>
> I believe it is a good thing if demo's work out of the box, no additional
> readme's, install.txt or conversions of .sh to .bat, downloads etc.
>
> Is there a good reason for the demo's not to reference online libraries?
>
> So instead of:
>   <script src="../lib/openlayers/OpenLayers.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
>   <script src="../lib/jquery/jquery-1.4.3.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
>   <script src="../lib/jquery/ui/jquery-ui.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
>
> Maybe use:
> <script type="text/javascript" src=
> "http://openlayers.org/api/2.10/OpenLayers.js"<http://openlayers.org/api/2.10/OpenLayers.js>
> ></script>
> <script type="text/javascript" src=
> "http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.3/jquery.min.js"<http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.3/jquery.min.js>
> ></script>
> <script type="text/javascript" src=
> "http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.6/jquery-ui.min.js"<http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.6/jquery-ui.min.js>
> ></script>
>
> ?
>
> From the version numbers in the path names to the libs, users can see with
> wich version of the external libs MapQuery is supposed to work.
>
> Anne

+ 1

Maybe then there should be a common directory used for per-developer html
demos, which would be added to .gitignore? Let's say something like
"demo-internal" where everyone can keep his/her files for development demos
without accidentely including them in an commit? Once the demo moves into
the demo folder, it would be required to use the online versions of OL,
jQuery and so on?

Cheers,