[MapQuery] comparing edugis and git code

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Tue Apr 12 06:10:27 EDT 2011

Hi Volker, others,

(Sorry, mail got out before I finished, so here the complete mail)

I've compared the mapquery code we're using for EduGIS
(http://research.geodan.nl/edugis or http://kaart.edugis.nl) with the
code in the master tree.

master:
jquery.mapquery.core.js is almost untouched, we added a few more layer
types line 83 (OSM, TMS, Google and an alert for unknown type)
jquery.mapquery.layercontrol is exactly the same

missing in master are:
jquery.mapquery.featureproperties.js
jquery.mapquery.geosearch.js
jquery.mapquery.history.js
jquery.mapquery.legend.js
jquery.mapquery.mouseposition.js
jquery.mapquery.overviewmaps.js
jquery.mapquery.permalink.js
jquery.mapquery.scalebar.js
jquery.mapquery.toc.js
jquery.mapquery-ui.featureinfo.js
jquery.mapquery-ui.legend.js

I noticed that the vmx branch is quite a bit different from master  (for
instance var self has been introduced). The EduGIS code is very much
coded in the style of the master. The master hasn't been touched for
quite a while, so I would presume that new insights on how to do things
have not ended up in the master branch.

As you can see there is quite a lot of code in the EduGIS code base, so
the question is how do we proceed? I can put everything in a branch in
git and than we start merging code with the vmx branch and other
branches into a new master?

Also we introduced jquery.mapquery-ui for widgets which depend on
jquery-ui so making it possible to do all kinds of nifty flashy
thingies. But for those who do not need those or want to use a different
ui library, the basic logic is still retained in it's sister in the
jquery.mapquery namespace (eg jquery.mapquery.legend.js and
jquery.mapquery-ui.legend.js)

regards,
Steven