[Mapserver-dev] Re: MapServer Core Team Formation?

Titus v.d. Malsburg malsburg at cl.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu May 6 09:34:14 EDT 2004

I'm no active developer of MapServer, just a user and regular reader of
mapserver-dev.  However I take the liberty of commenting on this topic.

mapserver-dev-request at lists.gis.umn.edu wrote:
> priorities raise issues.  I would like a clear dispute resolution mechanism
> to be available.

Commen sense and a good way of dealing with each other is a precondition
for every successful conflict resolution.  On the other hand, if you
have these conditions fulfilled you don't need a formal mechanism.  :-)
Ok, ok there is a small set of cases where a formal mechanism helps, but
I strongly belief that this set is much smaller than most people think.

Thats the theory; the practice is, that many projects don't gain much by
  introducing the concept of a core team.  A consequent is often some
inertness and a lack of flexibility.  (I don't really know if it is a
good example but XFree seemed to suffer from a very formal way to deal
with things.)

Linux IMO isn't a good analogy, since
  * the reasons for it having hierarchic system are mostly historical
  * the success depends on the character of Linus (how has admirable
    diplomatic abilities)
  * it is a very different project (qualitative and quantitative)

Therefore I propose to keep the old informal system and start this
discussion not before
  * practice proofs that it doesn't resolve conflicts
    sufficiently efficient anymore
  * and some theory suggests that the concept of a core team
    would perform better.
(Unlike many other people I don't think that the latter is naturally true.)

Cheers and by the way thank you for your great work an MapServer,
	Titus