[Mapserver-dev] mapindex.c

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Sep 26 21:34:44 EDT 2004

Folks,

What is the code in mapindex.c for?  From a review, I get the impression it
is some sort of spatial indexing for shapefiles based on a fixed grid size
(as opposed to the quadtree approach of maptree.c).  Is it still used?  If
not should it be removed from the tree?

I am implementing more complete support quadtrees for spatial searches in
shapelib, and will use the "new" .qix format for compatibility with mapserver.
I will be incorporating support for this into OGR so I can have spatial searches
in OGR nearly as fast as MapServer.