server-side SLD support

Thu Nov 2 07:39:39 EST 2006

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Paul,
>
> the intention of the SLD keyword would be to be used in server-side WMS
> implementations, to be used as the default style.
>
> So I would not recommend using it in Chameleon client MAP files.
>
> Maybe we are putting the scope of this too wide ..... ?

Once a feature is out in the wild then users will start using it for all
sorts of things that you never expected, and what you recommend them to
do or not do won't matter... i.e. even if you recommend to Chameleon
users to not use mapfiles that contain SLD refs, some of them will do it
either intentionally or by accident... that's why we need to address all
those questions now, to avoid making a half-baked feature available that
will cause odd side-effects to previously working applications.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/