[mapserver-dev] Re: postgis transaction patch (WAS: Voluminous Bug List)

David Fuhry dfuhry at acm.org
Mon Apr 14 17:52:07 EDT 2008

Paul,

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> If I have time to set up a proper testing environment I'll look at it,
> but you'll probably get to it first. The logic of
> msPOSTGISInitConnection seems pretty unassailable. I would suggest
> throwing in some tests for the "impossible" cases of PQTRANS_ACTIVE,
> and PQTRANS_UNKNOWN, and perhaps a logging message for
> PGTRANS_INTRANS, just to improve visibility of what's going on.

Done, and renamed the method msPOSTGISSanitizeConnection to better
reflect its purpose.  Find the updated patch in trac.

> There is one piece of code you didn't retrofit, search for a *lower
> case* "begin" to find it. However, it's in a code path that should
> never get hit, so I don't think that's it.

It would be nice to see that whole section in the end of
prepare_database removed, since AFAICT its only purpose is to support
postgis <= 0.5, while it drags around baggage & obscures the code while
doing so.  Should that be a separate patch, or included in this one?

> All this tap dancing re-inforces to me the need to do a
> clean-up/re-write of this stuff to *not* use binary cursors anymore.
> We should be doing base64 encoding of WKB for transit so we can avoid
> the whole binary cursor (and associated BEGIN/END/ROLLBACK) mess.
> Mildly slower, but way cleaner code.

Agreed.  Deferring to your judgment on how hex vs. binary performance
would play out, since there seem to be a lot of variables.

Thanks,

Dave