[mapserver-dev] Re: postgis transaction patch (WAS: Voluminous Bug List)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Apr 15 11:56:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:52 PM, David Fuhry <dfuhry at acm.org> wrote:

>  Done, and renamed the method msPOSTGISSanitizeConnection to better reflect
> its purpose.  Find the updated patch in trac.

I'll take a look. Meanwhile, fire up your debugger :)

>  It would be nice to see that whole section in the end of prepare_database
> removed, since AFAICT its only purpose is to support postgis <= 0.5, while
> it drags around baggage & obscures the code while doing so.  Should that be
> a separate patch, or included in this one?

You can do it at the same time. It is certainly disposable code.

>  Agreed.  Deferring to your judgment on how hex vs. binary performance would
> play out, since there seem to be a lot of variables.

There will be a performance penalty, but I'll be happy to pay it for
the cleaner code. Geoserver does it with text encoding of WKB, and
that doesn't stop them from running faster than Mapserver on
(carefully contrived :) benchmarks.