[mapserver-dev] mapsde : qualified names vs non qualified names

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 21:07:15 EST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 5:55 PM, Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> Working with mapserver/sde layers, we came across an issue  where
> the attribute names used (ex for a querybyattributes) must be
> qualified if there is a Join done on the layer and non-qualified if
> there is no join. Note that this is documented.
> Do you see any advantage/problem to always be able to use qualified
> names either there is a join or not? At least be able for those who
> want it, to be able to have a setting so that qualified names are
> always used. (this would preserve the way it works now if there is
> nothing set)

Assefa,

If I remember correctly, I had a lot of trouble with qualified names
and joins with SDE.  I settled with what we have now to attempt to
preserve existing behavior for folks while still allowing in-database
joins to happen.  I would support adding some sort of PROCESSING item
to switch on fully qualified names, or if there is enough support for
5.2, just moving to always returning and using qualified names (this
would require mapfile changes for folks, however).

Howard