[mapserver-dev] Canvas support for MapServer

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Jan 26 10:42:36 EST 2009

Jan,

  My interest is in building a (or re-purposing an existing) tool for Cartographic Layout, for printing or rendering a graphics format for easy viewing (e.g. PDF).  Steve's comments were about using existing Web formats and syntax to describe the layout, and existing(?) web editors to do the placement/moving of the layout components.

  My (very limited) understanding of the <canvas> HTML tag is that it's a "container" recognized by the browser, and vector (and raster) graphics are rendered into it using client-side JavaScript.  Sort of the JavaScript equivalent of the SVG format.

  It would be possible to add another output format to Mapserver to generate JavaScript code of canvas rendering methods, but a more elegant approach might be to write a small(?) JavaScript module to ingest Mapserver's SVG and render the objects to the canvas.

  Are there some specific features of the direct-canvas-output approach not available in SVG that you need?

Brent Fraser