[mapserver-dev] MS-RFC-53: Guidelines for MapScript method return values

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sun Mar 8 17:44:24 EDT 2009

Hi Dev's,

Ticket 244 pointed out an inconsistency in the return values of
MapScript methods on failure: some methods return 0/-1 for
success/failure and others return MS_SUCCESS/MS_FAILURE.

This ticket was discussed at the TO Code Sprint and the consensus is to
leave the existing functions unchanged, and come up with a RFC to
provide guidelines for future functions (i.e. new methods should use
MS_SUCCESS/MS_FAILURE instead of 0/-1)

I have prepared RFC-53 for this. I realize that lots of stuff could go
in such a guideline document, but the goal for now is just to address
the return values issue. I'll leave it up for comments for a little
while before we vote on it:
http://www.mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-53.html

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/