[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 61: Enhance MapServer Feature Style Support

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:34:44 EDT 2010

Steve,

I didn't want to promote the OGR style as opposed to SLD or other style
representations, on the contrary I would be happy have them implemented all.
But at the moment - for practical reasons - implementing the OGR styles
would be more straightforward. From the user's perspective having a 'feature
style ready' data source (like mapinfo tab) in hand, can easily be converted
to any other data sources supported by OGR using a single commandline tool.
It would then be reasonable to establish support for rendering those feature
styles in mapserver by using the "native" drivers as well, not only with OGR
like now.
For this reason I'd encourage to enhance such default style handling
(established with this addition) to support more kind of the style
representations if someone will have any motivation to implement a parser to
those styles. Till that time, having a single implementation in place is
much better than denying such support at all.

Best regards,

Tamas