[mapserver-dev] 6.2 and Annotation Layers

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Mar 10 21:53:57 EST 2012

Thomas, Steve L,

Regarding the deprecation of ANNOTATION layers. I currently use
annotation in the following ways:

1. highway shields in addition to labels that follow the roadway

This seems like it requires RFC-77 to be implemented so you can place a
label the follows the roads, and a 2nd label block to place the shields.
These obviously can not use the same label points.

Is RFC-77 still in the plans for 6.2? I do not see a voting history or
ticket associated with it, may it wasn't deemed necessary.

2. points of interest where I want symbol and label but only if they
both fit

OK this one seems like I can use multiple styles within a label and just
not specify a style at the class level.

3. placenames both with and without a symbol using point or polygon layers

I think this can be done the same as 2. with no style at the class level
and only have styles within the label.

Does this sound right?

I'm going to try the leader offsets also.
Any other cool tricks we can do with these changes?

Thanks,
   -Steve