[mapserver-dev] Rendering smoothed lines

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 17 10:38:44 PDT 2012

Hi Devs,

Has anyone been thinking about adding support for line smoothing
(b-spline, Bezier curves, ?) in MapServer? I believe AGG supports this
already, is this an option that we could enable easily for AGG rendering?

More specifically, we've been asked about the ability to smooth contour
lines as we zoom out (probably more a combination of simplifying and
smoothing). In the contour case it would not be sufficient to do the
smoothing at the renderer level (i.e. in AGG) since we also want the
contour labels to be positioned properly on top of the smoothed contour.
For this reason we may instead want to implement smoothing as a
GEOMTRANSFORM operation.

This raises another question: Do GEOMTRANSFORM operations also apply to
labels? (RFC-72 suggests that this planned enhancement would not be in
place yet)

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/