[mapserver-dev] News on MapServer SLD and MapCache

jbo-ads jbo-ads at laposte.net
Tue Dec 17 01:18:22 PST 2019

Hi all,

I would like to apologize for not having been active on MapServer SLD
these months. I am busy on more urgent activities from my client, mainly
related to MapCache performance. I hope to deliver a synthesis on the
form of a wiki page (which to my surprise has not been initiated yet on
MapCache).

On this side, I am fixing some bugs and adding configurable features to
better control how MapCache retrieves and assembles tiles from its
caches depending on each situation.

I am also developing feature requests that arise in the broader context
of these activities.

The first one is about a cache structure involving multi-SQLite caches
organized in multiple pyramids: one single pyramid from zoom levels 0 to
7, then as many pyramids as tiles at zoom level 8. Each of these
pyramids starts with one tile at zoom level 8, then four tiles at zoom
level 9 and so on. Of course the top zoom level value is configurable. I
like to name this cache structure "Z-top". My question is: Do you think
it deserves a RFC?

The second one is about allowed values in MapCache implementation of
WMS/WMTS dimensions. Currently, dimensions values are sanitized so that
'.' (dot) and '/' (slash) characters are replaced by '#' (is it sharp or
hash in english?). However my client (and others I've heard of) would
like to use file paths as dimension values in order to store cache
locations without being constrained to put them all in a single
directory. I feel a bit reluctant about this because I suspect this
change would introduce a security hole in MapCache, by potentially
giving access to server's filesystem. I would like to open the
discussion with you about how to provide this feature without
compromising security.

Jérome.