[mapserver-dev] 7.4 Release...

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Mar 16 04:39:15 PDT 2019

O n samedi 16 mars 2019 11:11:42 CET Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> Hi all: We’re due to start the 7.4 release process now. I have one question
> for folks regarding Proj 7 support.

For clarity for other folks, Proj 7 will be released next year, and will drop
the proj_api.h currently used by MapServer

> As it sits now MapServer cannot use the
> newest version of Proj. It can use Proj 6 by means of a compile-time flag.
>
> Even didn’t think Proj 7 support would be a trivial change and we might not
> be able to support both older and newer versions of the lib.

That would have been studied more precisely. But maintening two different code
paths will have a maintenance cost we might not probably want to bear.

> Ideally we’d
> abandon versions older than 6 - there are likely several reasons to do
> that.
>
> Question is when. Could wait on 7.4 or we could release 7.4 (PHP folks have
> been more than patient) and work in earnest on Proj 7 support in the next
> 7.6 or 8.0 release. I’m in favor of the latter but could be convinced
> otherwise...

"Release early, release often" :-) I don't see the point in defering 7.4

Even

http://www.spatialys.com