[mapserver-dev] Dropping Version Output?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Feb 15 18:03:46 PST 2022

I have always found it very handy, it's the first thing I look at when
asked to troubleshoot someone's server. Perhaps the supported modules
make less sense today since the list is not complete, but I'd vote to
keep at least the MapServer signature and version number. It is common
practice for client/server software to expose their identity and version
number, think of the Apache sevrer headers, and the browser's user-agent
strings, even good old FTP and SMTP used to do it as well.  Is there a
reason to remove it?

On 2022-02-15 20:48, Steve Lime wrote:
> What do folks think about dropping the version output from MapServer?
> That is, output like:
>
> <!-- MapServer version 7.6.4 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=ICONV
> SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
> SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M SUPPORTS=PBF
> INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE -->
>
> I'm not sure that advertising version and supported components makes
> sense anymore. Might be able to make it tunable via the config file but
> I'm not sure that's even necessary.
>
> --Steve

Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc