[MapServer-dev] PROJECTION block strings and init=

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Aug 24 05:14:26 PDT 2023

Hi,

There is a ticket https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/issues/1895 saying the +init esri: is not supported even when +init is enabled.

The deprecation of the init files is not mentioned for example here https://proj.org/en/9.2/resource_files.html#init-files.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: MapServer-dev <mapserver-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> Puolesta Seth G
Lähetetty: torstai 24. elokuuta 2023 13.52
Vastaanottaja: MapServer Devs <mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Aihe: [MapServer-dev] PROJECTION block strings and init=

Hi all,

I just ran into an issue when using the following projection block returned "msProcessProjection(): Projection library error. proj error "Invalid value for an argument" for "init=esri:54052":

    PROJECTION
        "init=esri:54052"
    END

However using the following without the "init=" works:

    PROJECTION
        "esri:54052"
    END

This is confusing as "esri:54052" is in the proj.db, and for EPSG code both approaches work e.g. "init=epsg:4326" and "epsg:4326" are both fine.

As noted in the PROJ docs [1] the "init=" PROJ strings were deprecated in PROJ6.

So a couple of questions:

1. Should we update the msautotests and MapServer docs to remove  "init=" from PROJECTION blocks?
   However I think the "init=" needs to be kept to support custom projections not in proj.db as used in [2] 2. Should we consider having a minimum required version of PROJ for a future release of MapServer? This would allow backwards compatible code to be removed.

Seth

[1] https://proj.org/en/9.2/development/migration.html#backward-incompatibilities
[2] https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/pull/6795

--