Broken Java (was Re: mouse-over "map tips")

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Thu Nov 4 22:14:14 EST 1999

Brent Fraser wrote:

> Paul,
>
>   Well that happened to me too.  I had compiled the Java
> code with JDK 1.2 (aka Java 2), then accessed my page
> from a machine with the Java 1.1 runtime engine.  I got the
> results you described.  I put Steve's mapimage.class file
> (Java 1.1?) back on the server and things began to work
> again.
>
>   But if your client and server machine are the same,
> then I dunno what's wrong...

Yes, my server and browser are running on the same machine (nice thing about
UNIX, I can develop stuff using a GUI called X, on the same machine as the web
server, and not worry about a GUI crash bringing down the web server :)

I may have to install Java again to see if that fixes the problem. In my case,
the only thing I did was add the CLASSPATH env. variable to my login
environment. Netscape reported to me as soon as I tried to use it that there was
already a CLASSPATH defined. I removed my CLASSPATH, but I still can't get the
example page to work.

I haven't tried Steve's mapimage.class again yet, but I did move it into one of
the paths indicated by Netscape.

PGA