Forms within forms?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 5 17:47:47 EST 1999

Doug: If I understand correctly. You want to zoom/pan until the user
has a view that make sense for them. Then they draw one more box
to define a query area (or use the entire area, correct? At that point
the area  of interest needs to be passed off to another package. There
are several ways to do it. One elegant way would be to add a control
to the form, a check box, that when checked would apply the aoi. When
checked a little function would do the conversion from imgbox to a
search extent (or if no box is on the sceen use the whole image extent)
and with that extent it could call the other search app using a URL and
replace the browser contents with that page. I can provide you with the
code to go from pixels to image coordinates, no problem. The whole
solution is about 20 lines of .js code. Cool huh.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Doug Nebert <ddnebert at usgs.gov> 11/05/99 04:14PM >>>
I have been experimenting with continued success in adding
layers to be viewed via the mapimage applet with the controls
and reference map displayed alongside in HTML. The communication
between the HTML and the mapserver seems to be done with
JavaScript within a form. Thus a redraw map request is a form
action.

This is all very nice if that is the only event I want to do,
but I have the need to use the resulting coordinates from the
current window (the search rectangle, not the map extent) and
pass them to another process to do search with. It first
seems that I would need more than one form to do this but I
am lost as to how this is done or what alternatives there would
be, other than folding all the functions inside the applet.

Example solutions, please!

--
Douglas D. Nebert
Clearinghouse Coordinator