Forms within forms?

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Sat Nov 6 09:11:20 EST 1999

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Doug: If I understand correctly. You want to zoom/pan until the user
> has a view that make sense for them. Then they draw one more box
> to define a query area (or use the entire area, correct? At that point
> the area  of interest needs to be passed off to another package. There
> are several ways to do it. One elegant way would be to add a control
> to the form, a check box, that when checked would apply the aoi. When
> checked a little function would do the conversion from imgbox to a
> search extent (or if no box is on the sceen use the whole image extent)
> and with that extent it could call the other search app using a URL and
> replace the browser contents with that page. I can provide you with the
> code to go from pixels to image coordinates, no problem. The whole
> solution is about 20 lines of .js code. Cool huh.
>
> Steve

Yes, that is precisely what needs to be done, but my 830 page
JavaScript book isn't very instructive ;)

I was experimenting with the presentation of common variables
like [scale] and [mapext] yesterday and I can display them in
the current screen. Two questions: 1) can I use these variables
anywhere on the HTML page, i.e. can I use them to set a hidden
for a different FORM, like a common variable? and 2) how does
one dissect the variables such as [mapext]? I was assuming that
one could imply [mapext.xmin] but that doesn't work.

Doug.

--
Douglas D. Nebert
Clearinghouse Coordinator