Attribute data with no associated .shp and .shx file

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 12 10:38:10 EST 1999

Depending on what you really need to do the answer is you can and you
can't. MapServer supports simple joins, one-to-one and one-to-many BUT
only for query output. So, you can't label features with text in another .dbf
file. You can present the joined attributes in a set of query results.

With 3.3 yet another possiblity exists. You can define features on-the-fly.
So, after a query you could produce a map with an address(s) marked
on it (I think). The key, is after a query. You might then be able to make
those features persistant using javascript and custom form variables, but
I'd have to think about that a bit.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Paul G. Allen" <pgallen at randomlogic.com> 11/11/99 04:24PM >>>
At the risk of sounding stupid...

I just realized the my Street Address and Zip code .dbf files have no associated
.shp and .shx file - the streets themselves have a separate shapefile. The only
reference that ties the two (address/zip code and street) together is a matching
ID number in each .dbf file. How would I go about placing the addresses on a map
in the correct places? How would I go about placing the addresses in a set of
query results of a street(s)?

Thanks,

PGA