Wow!

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Tue Jan 11 10:28:32 EST 2000

Hi,

I am new to this list and to MapServer, but I thought I should write a
note just to say that I've been quite impressed with MapServer until
now!

Within a couple of hours, I was able to build/install MapServer, get the
demo running, learn the way map files work and... use it to reproduce
the most part of a web mapping application that we had previously built
using a very expensive web mapping package (I won't give names!!!).  And
the "worst" in all that is that the MapServer version is at least 10
times faster than the original... Wow!  I can already see lots of
potential uses for it!

However, I would like to report minor problems that I encountered with
version 3.3.003:

- There is currently no demo data available on the web site... even if
the standard demo has not been upgraded for version 3.3 yet, there
should still be a link to the old 3.2 demo with a huge note saying that
it won't work but that you are free to try... I've been lucky and have
been able to guess the filename for the demo (/dist/ws_demo.tar.gz) to
download it, but not every new user will try that I'm sure!

- The MAP file documentation states at the beginning that file paths can
be either absolute or relative to the map file's location.  However, I
was not able to get my MAP file to work with relative filenames for
TEMPLATES (I had to use absolute paths)... was that a known problem?

Congrats again for building that system!
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/