CGI Variables

Searle Ross Ross.Searle at dnr.qld.gov.au
Wed Jan 12 01:49:53 EST 2000

Steve or any other wise person,

I am trying to create an applet that talks directly to mapserver so that you
do not actually submit the HTML page but rather the applet submits the URL
and processes the returned info and updates the image inside the applet. The
upshot of this being that the whole HTML page doesn't have to be refreshed
only the applet. This is all working fine. I am trying to use zoomin
functions etc similar to your applet. Since the applet submits the URL I
need to know what CGI variables are actually controlling mapextents etc of
the returned image so that I can build the appropriate URL.

I was wondering if you could give some further info on how mapserver
processes the CGI variables and their importance. In particular imgext,
mapext, imgxy, img.x, img.y. I have been trying to work out by a process of
elimination what goes on but the only thing I am eliminating is scarce brain
cells. I know this is all a bit vague but an example of what I am concerned
with is - I have been able to control the zoom by generating mapextents but
then when I do a query I get messages such as "imgxy not set"

It would be nice to get a brief overview of how mapserver processes these
variables

Thanks
Ross

Ross Searle
Natural Resource Information Management Officer
Department of Natural Resources
PO Box 1143
Bundaberg QLD 4670. Australia
Ph : 0741 537 888 Fax : 0741 537 823